23.2.23

Long time no posts…

Heya!  Thought I’d blow the dust and cobwebs off this blog and say hello to anyone who still pays attention to this stuff.
The previous one was about half a year ago and well… a lot of water under the bridge since then.
So… welcome to the FLH irregular blog post.  :D
I can’t remember everything that has happened in the recent past so I’m not going to pretend to but here are some things I’d like to tell you about.

In the last months I’ve been spending more time doing home recording, editing and mixing.  Overdubbing tracks for Ahmed ElMotassem and Simon Joyner as well as a long distance collaboration with Logan Perry, contributions to compilation benefits and a few internet collabs that may or may not see light of day.
In addition to playing at home, have had some very fun (and fine!) gigs.  Notable ones include Ballister at Elastic in Chicago (Catalytic Fest) nice ad hoc nights at Shift in Brooklyn (also part of the Catalytic Fest) and re-connecting  with old homies Chris Cochrane and Jim Pugleise in a band with John Thayer and Nick Jozwiak.  On the old pal front, also had a nice evening with Nick Macri, Bill MacKay and Julian Kirshner.  And, of course, big fun playing in the monthly CMS orchestra.  Karl Berger (and Ingrid Sertso!) are still doing the thing.
More recently, I got to play with Al Margolis, Ben Vida and Tom Law.  Al has been a friend since the mid ’80’s.  We haven’t played a ton but when we do, it’s always a good time. Ben and I logged a lot of time in the late ’90’s and ‘oughts., in Pillow and Terminal 4 most notably.  Although I’ve known him since he opened Conundrum in South Carolina,  it was my first time actually playing with Tom.
Recording… A standout has to be the day Ivo Perlman put together a group with Mat Maneri, Nate Wooley, Joe Morris, Matt Moran, and me.  Also highlights were duos with Tim Daisy, trios with Paul Giallorenzo and Adam Shead, and trios with Michael Foster and Matt Weston.

Projects I recently mixed include the duos with Daisy, the trio with Giallorenzo and Shead and a J@K@L (Jackson/Kirshner/L-H) recording from last April.  Also finished mixes of the nights with Roscoe Mitchell and Georges Paul.

There are a number of new releases as well.  
Brotzmann/Leah/L-H
Naked Nudes (Trost)

Harnik/Rempis/L-H/Daisy
Ear Scratcher (Aerophonic)

Goldstein/L-H
Missa Amissa (Notice)

Espvall/Mira/L-H
Flying Cellos (Weird Cry)

Reid/L-H
Eight Pieces for Two Cellos (Corbett vs Dempsey)

Icecold/L-H
Sepphoris (no label)

Graewe/Gratkowski/L-H
Trilinear Polarity (Fundacja Słuchaj)

Right now I am in Portugal for a while.  A few upcoming gigs…
23/3 Flying Cellos (Espvall/Mira/L-H) at Cafe Dias
2/4 Rodrigues, Pinheiro/L-H @at Cossoul
9/4 L-H/Madeira/Stoffner/Zingaro at ???

After that I return to Kingston to play with Shelley Hirsch! 

In May, I am planning to go to Columbia SC and am thinking I might play a few little shows on the way to and from.  Let me know if you have any suggestions of places/people to contact.

There are always a few recordings in the pipeline.  In addition to the ones mentioned above… am looking forward to my next solo recording coming out on HaHa tapes and a Ballister LP.

Anyway, thanks for reading (and listening!).  Although I have taken a step back from the old ways of relentless touring and gigging, I am happier than ever.  Playing fewer gigs definitely makes each one I do that much more meaningful.

As this platform invites tons of spam, if you want to get in touch it’s probably best to contact me via frknl (at) hotmail dhott com or look for me on IG and FB

Meanwhile, keep one ear to the ground and one to the sky!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home