18.7.22

Been a minute...

Wow!  Realized it's been over a year since the last post.  Not sure if I should even bother but... well, here goes.

It's been a pretty amazing 15or so months tbh.  While still in sort of a low level lockdown I managed to get out a few times. Highlights of the last year definitely include playing on Brotzmann's 80'th celebration. A recording of the set with him and Heather Leigh is scheduled for release on Trost records.  Keep an eye out.  The Ballister tour was also pretty sweet. Along the way we met a lot of old friends and even played with a few of them.  Joe McPhee helped us kick off the tour.  The next night Marshall Allen joined us.  Kind of probably my favorite tour kick-off ever. 

The Ballister tour ended with a short stay in Chicago where I played with a few pals (thanks Tim Daisy, Nick Macri, Charles Rumback, Keefe Jackson, Julian Kirshner) and recorded some solo stuff coming out on HAHA later this year.

Also high on the list were the gigs with "Ear Scratcher", a new 4tet put together by Elisabeth Harnik.  Dave Rempis and Tim Daisy round out the ensemble.  I hope we do it again.  I also had an amazing time in Antwerp right before Xmas.  Two nights of first meetings with mostly young Belgian players (some quite excellent I might add) and a lightbox concert to close it out.  There was a very nice video of it but I think that was a limited time stream.

Lots of nice one off gigs around the Kingston area as well as NYC and Boston (Driff Fest!).

Recently I went to Bonn and played several nights with Georges-Paul and Roscoe Mitchell.  One night with a number of improvisers from the greater Köln area and two with only Roscoe and GP.  One was a  private session the other public.  Roscoe played a lot of bass sax and did so with as much style as anyone I have ever heard.  Right now I am trying to mix the sessions.  If it's above my pay grade, am sure someone can make it happen and... look for a release sometime in 2023.  By the way, if you are reading this far, you might also be interested to know that as "Gordon Comstock" I have been building a fairly respectable discogs entry.  ;)

And... if you are reading this in time... here's a couple of upcoming gigs:

Who: Aliya Ultan, Eli Wallace, Lester St Louis, Matt Evans. Charlotte Stickles, Fred Lonberg-Holm
Where: Old Dutch Church, Kingston
When: Saturday, July 23 7PM
What: 3 cellos, piano, percussion, dance
Why: why not?

The night before, I am playing duos with Evan Lindorff-Ellery as a part of buddyfest seven.  Lots of musicians of interest playing.  Info here:
https://m.facebook.com/events/388094209810929?tsid=0.01737584993343766&source=result

After that I am laying low until late August when I am planning on doing a lightbox in Oslo.  Also playing with Fredrick Ljungvist and Lotte Anker.  After that a tour in Germany with Hans Peter Hiby and Camille Emaille.  Look for us!

I hope everyone is hanging in there in spite of all the turmoil in the world.

Keep me posted,

Fred

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home