4.3.21

Late Winter...

 Heya!

Me again.  Perhaps talking only to myself.  I used to imagine that when I got old, I might become one of those guys you'd see late night at a diner.  Down at the end of the counter.  Wizened by who knows what.  Nursing a cup of shitty coffee (maybe smoking too - this was back when people would smoke and even indoors!).  Muttering to himself.  Neither friendly nor mean, just lost in his memories.
Well... now that I am approaching that age, the world is different than I expected.  I guess this blog is the "modern" version.  Anyway, here I am, coffee in front of me, not at a diner (haven't been inside a diner in a year now) and am writing (not muttering) to myself.

The last months have been more interesting than I would have imagined.  Am definitely keeping busy.  I slowed down on mask making but still sewing.  Now mostly repairing toys my puppy keeps destroying.  A little bit of a Sisyphusian act but... what the hell?

I'm also painting more.  Actually taking an on-line beginning painting class.  I should have done that years ago.  Having a lot of fun even if I doubt I will make any more still life paintings after it's over.  :)  I have some glass works in progress too. 

Of course, music remains my main activity.  I play at least a little every day and spend a lot of time listening to recordings (mine and other folks). 

Since I last wrote, Flying Aspidistra released a nice duo recording with my friend Helena Espvall and a trio EP with the legendary Tristan Honsinger and Josh Zubot.  Tristan has been a hero for many of us for years and years.  I haven't played with him many times but its always been a great experience.  Was lucky that this set was recorded in glorious stereophonic sound by the Zuchowskis (Thanks for everything Dave and Wendy!).  Tristan made the cover art btw.  He's been producing a lot of what he calls "cut-outs".  I think he would sell them if asked nicely.  He's laying low but contact me and I will see what I can do. 

Footnote... the trio with Tristan wouldn't have happened if not for the efforts of Tomeka Reid.  I can't say enough good things about her.  In addition to being an amazingly talented musician, she works as hard (harder?) to shine a light on others than just about any other musician I know.  When I lived in Chicago, we would play duo sets from time to time.  A duo session we did a few years ago is supposed to finally be released on CvsD sometime later this year and I couldn't be happier about that.

Anyway, you can get both of these recordings (and many other fine ones as well!) at https://flyingaspidistra.bandcamp.com/

 


In addition, I have been on a few other recent releases.  A nice "grab bag" type thing featuring Rob Magill with guests Eugene Chadborne, Dave Rempis, Shaine Scarminach and yours truly.  Also an EP by my old friend (and one time fellow GodCo member) Laura Cromwell.  A little bit ago there was also a trio set with Joao Almeida and Joao Lopes Pereira (my last "electric" gig just about a year ago).  And of course, the newest Mars Williams "Ayler Xmas" disc (and LP).  Its a "battle" between Chicago and NY. :D  I'm on the NY team this time lol.  That band includes Nels Cline, Hilliard Greene, Chris Corsano, Steve Swell and of course, Mars.  The "other" side features many of my old Chicago friends.  The string section includes Katinka Kline, Peter Maunu, Kent Kessler and Brian Sandstrom so... you know its burning!

And an early warning... RogueArt is releasing a 4tet recording made a month ago here in the Mahicantuck (Hudson) Valley at the super sweet Dreamland studio (pinch me!).  It features Joe McPhee, Michael Bisio, Juma Sultan and myself.  I was privileged to mix it and can say, after many listens, I still love it and am excited for its release.

 In addition, Sima and I continue to deliver meals and groceries to people who need.  Sometimes its "routine" but other days, the response of some people can be very deep and moving.  Please support your local foodbanks and other mutual assistance programs (here in Kingston we have a couple of "community fridges" where people can leave groceries and meals and others can take them when they need in hopes that no one goes hungry).

So... all considered, it's not been too dull around here.  I really hope everyone reading this is safe, warm and healthy. 

Thanks for reading my ramble.
Fred



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home